Wednesday, 11 May 2011

Getting involved

A lot of things have been happening for the last couple of days. The team from England left which was sad but I´m happy and thankful they were here so I could be part of their adventures and touching peoples` lives. After saying goodbye to them at church I went on a motorbike trip all by myself on Sunday. I had a banana and pancake picnic at a nice lookout viewing the tops of thousands of coconut trees and rainforrest in the distance. I also stopped several times breathing in nature at other spots. Having the freedom to do so is great! The destination of my trip was a place called the "Hanging garden" in Pilar. That garden is beautiful. The setting is right at the cliff next to the ocean. It offers great views and silence and relaxation which I needed that day.

Sometimes life in this place can be surprising with taking things from you that you would usually take for granted. For example there are cases when we have no electricity for a while. You never know when it might come back once it´s gone. That was the case again on Sunday. Not only light is gone then. Also the running water we have, which is already luxury in this place. The water is being pumped from the ground and electricity is needed for that. So if the tank, which is tiny, is empty it can not be reloaded. Life without electricity can get quite inconvenient. At least we still have the option to take a shower, fully clothed though, out of the well next to our house. This time electricity came back Tuesday afternoon. I felt really relieved. I appreciate things like that so much more since I live here.

This week I started being part of an association that was founded by the local resort owners and all people being involved in the tourism section. The association is interested to be part in the progress of shaping this place in terms of conserving nature, the beauty this place offers and making it a better place for local people and tourists, too. It is just new and so it´s only in the baby shoes but I´m excited to be involved in terms of getting information and being able to raise my voice. The first meeting I attended reminded me of the meeting the local people always have in TV series "Gilmore Girls". The mayor of our place is also taking part in the meetings.

I was also being offered to be a German teacher for two girls this week. Their parents are also resort owners. I will take the challenge. It makes me excited to be able to use my knowledge of my studies back home and I´m glad I also took courses on teaching German for non native speakers.

Today we had a lot of talks about our restaurant which is soon going to be finished. It´s going to be a great place to hang out. I can´t believe it´s really happening and I´m all excited for it to start!

All in all, this week I feel like I´m getting more and more involved into life here and being part of a Siargao community and lifestyle.

Tomorrow I´ll be on my way to Surigao again to renew my visa and enjoy the city with a visit at the hairdresser :)

No comments:

Post a Comment